Tuesday 12 July 2011

Thing 3 Professional/personal identity

I briefly touched on this in my first post and have somewhat revised my opinion. Whether its simply because I've had time to change my mind, or because other posts have influenced me I'm not sure, but I've come to the conclusion that it is impossible to separate professional and personal, in a blogging environment at least.

I think I've come to this conclusion because to exclude the personal would be to exclude the personality, which would in turn lead to some of the most dry, dull and dreary writings. People read blogs because there is something of interest there, and even if their interest is entirely professional it is the inflection, colour and humour of the writing that invites someone to read on.

I have also reached this decision because a little self-reflection led me to thinking about the way I conduct myself professionally in the library, and indeed, why I was hired. The conclusion I came to was that it is my personality that helped me get the job, in that my employer thought that I would fit well into my team, and my approach and attitude to work that has continued to enable me to do well. Therefore, it would seem rather counter-productive to exclude that part of me from online blogging.

That said, I would still like to maintain a professional focus in this blog and as the name says, will focus on things 'of the library.'