Friday 15 July 2011

Pushnote

I have recently switched my browser to Google Chrome so have no excuse for not trying this one! As you might have gathered from my post about Twitter, I'm not too keen on gratuitous and/or arbitrary communication, so going by the only information I have about Pushnote, that on the CPD23 blog, I was a bit sceptical about this one.

However, even before I signed into Pushnote, it creators have somewhat enterprisingly displayed a plethora of positive comments given about it on its home page and it had the desired effect on me. From the point of sign in though, as with Twitter, I am somewhat confused: the website doesn't seem particularly explanatory as I still have no more idea as to what Pushnote is about, but instead encourages me to create a profile and find friends.

I  searched for fellow CPD bloggers who I know have signed into Pushnote, but still find nothing except their names, a picture and their 60 character bio. I then changed my search to the top rated users and unsurprisingly  found considerably more information and comments about sites they have visited.

I imagine that if I build up a network of frequent users who comment on library and information websites, this could be very useful for CPD. If I build up a network of users that I find interesting, I imagine it could have the opposite effect by providing too good a distraction!